Saturday, January 13, 2007

Before mountain biking with Hensley

In the van right now. Sara snores. Amy and Roger both sleeping, too. The rest, write.

For lunch I ate the rest of the pancake batter by heating it until it turned from liquid to solid, than scraping it off the pan and shoving it in my mouth. Then I had a peanut butter and banana sandwich– my first. It was everything these sandwiches have been alleged to be, and maybe even more. Now I am in the van because it’s in the 40’s now, the coldest day so far, I think, and even with three layers, life outside isn’t very fun.

Yesterday was similar, so we went out to lunch and then to the Heard museum. The fish tacos and native American art both gave me a broader perspective of the southwest. I’d go back to Macaya’s in a heartbeat.

Sara and Amy both just woke up. I guess it was Amy snoring, not Sara.

Anyway, yesterday when we got back to camp, we decided to go for a hike. We ended up going up a small “mountain.” We kept getting higher and higher until finally we got the idea that we might just get to the top. So we kept going. Josh made it to the top, but only because he went by himself. The rest of us thought about the setting sun and turned back. But we came back after dark anyway, because we were good friends and waited for Josh to make sure he was alive.

Another reason we turned back was because Sara, while slipping on some loose rock, stuck her hand out and grabbed hold of a teddy bear cholla ball. The string of expletives that she loudly listed sufficiently explained…

No comments: