Sunday, June 7, 2009

a pleasant surprise

I was walking home from work with Ryan when I saw Rachel walking up the hill. I let go of Ryan and dropped my bag and ran, embracing her with, "You're here! You're here!" I had hoped to see my best friend from Spain sometime this summer, but her arrival was a complete surprise. "How long can you stay?" I asked.

Rachel stayed long enough for us to hike to Alta Vista, Camp Muir, and Bench Lake. She met some of the people I've been meeting and shared the food I was eating. The weather turned from lovely to yucky while she was here, but walking through the cold fog between Rachel and Ryan, I coiuld not forget that I live in a wonderful place.

Today was our first church service, and I spoke on the springlike renewal of the Holy Spirit. The snow is melting fast, and gradually more guests are coming. This cloud won't linger around Paradise forever, and while it does, I'll relax with a good book.

No comments: