Saturday, October 13, 2007

Reading Weekend

Reading weekend is for reading the call numbers of TCCS library books, magazines at the dentist's office, sale notices at the thrift store (c'mon, Mom!), the menu at Culvers, the birthday bread recipe, and wall posts on facebook. It is also a good time to watch movies, go on a hayride, carve pumpkins, cuddle with the sister, sing vociferously, make aloo gobi, and dance to Michael Card.

My first day of teacher aiding was phenomenal. I was greeted by the assistant principal, who showed me to my cooperating teacher's classroom. She was friendly and down to earth. As far as I can tell, she knows the names of all 140 students that she sees throughout the day in her 1st and 3rd year Spanish classes, and she demands respect from them while still being a very likable person. I found out that they put the native Spanish speakers in separate classes called "heritage" Spanish classes, so I wasn't overwhelmed by my lack of fluency. I was able to work one-on-one with a student who had joined her class late. He was trying very hard to catch up, and he had the brains and study skills to do it. He notebooked everything I told him, and asked me questions to make sure he understood. Later I graded tests and observed the way the teacher taught the class. Throughout the day I was introduced to many of my cooperating teacher's colleagues, who were also friendly and professional. And this made me feel friendly and professional, returning their "nice to meet you"s and standing, smiling, tall and confident while working with the students.

1 comment:

g'mavw said...

I knew that you would do well!!