Friday, April 18, 2008

Rome. And this isn't even the half of it.

a week in review:

Friday morning: take the bus to the ruins of a Roman city a few miles from my house.

Friday afternoon: lay talking to my friend Rachel under a palm tree for hours.

Friday night: "sleep" on a bus.

Saturday morning: miss an international flight.

Saturday afternoon: get to Rome anyway.

Saturday night: receive an email with the subject "Give the Pope a high five for me!"

Sunday morning: see the Pope. I gave him an air high five.

Sunday night: taste my first vodka. Quite likely my last.

Monday morning: read Romans in Rome while waiting in line to see the Sistine Chapel.

Monday night: find out that my family is moving to Ft. Collins after twenty years on Borchers Rd.

Tuesday afternoon: realize a half-a-life-long dream to visit a catacomb.

Tuesday night: attend a concert of opera in a beautiful gothic church and realize that the locals can actually understand the words.

Wednesday: lay on a black sand beach by the Mediterranean.

Thursday: eat tortillas, fish paté, and tomato sauce while sitting outside the Madrid bus station in the pouring rain.

Thursday night: email my family while sitting along a street in Sevilla and being passed by tipsy people in flamenco dresses.

Friday morning: type up my seven thousand word journal that I kept throughout the week just to keep me sane.

No comments: