Thursday, November 9, 2006

Last weekend


I spent last weekend downtown Chicago attending lectures and presentations that were a part of the Chicago Humanities festival. I got to here about the art of interviewing, teaching a culture of peace and justice, and photographing war. I heard that republicans are all rich, that becoming a Zen Buddhist is the ultimate in peacefulness, and I heard the liberal on the panel called “Iraq War Strategy” say that more troops are needed in Iraq.

I walked miles, spent fourteen dollars on public transportation, ate delicious food, attended the Moody church, slept in a hostel, got a few hours of sleep. At the Field Museum I met another young woman who is going to Spain. Same program, same semester.

Amidst all this I took the oh-so-important Basic Skills Test. If I had known when I signed up for the test that I would be living downtown at that time, I would have signed up for the one in Chicago. But since I signed up for southern suburbs, I had to get up at five and take public transportation to Harvey and back.

No comments: