Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving

As always (except for the time I was in Tokyo), I spent Thanksgiving in Pella, Iowa. As always, we spent the time with extended family, feasting, talking, holding a trapshoot, and playing games. What made this year unique was the unseasonably spectacular weather and the lack of mashed potato explosions.

My cousins stayed through Friday, which left time for movie watching, disc golfing, indoor swimming, dress-up playing (My grandma’s dress up box is stocked with old bridesmaid dresses that we have just recently grown into.), and pizza eating. That night, my cousins said goodbye and went back to their home.

The rest of the weekend, we did some Christmas decorating, went bowling, did a little homework, and relaxed. On Saturday night my parents hosted a party with their high school friends. On Sunday we went to church and ate a delicious dinner (carved above.) That afternoon my family and I also departed. My parents were going to have to bring me all the way to Trinity, but I got a guy we saw on the interstate to bring me.

Getting together with the extended family is marvelous. Having to say goodbye at the end of every time together makes me wish that we lived closer. It makes me daydream of us all setting up permanent residence there. Like a commune, with cousins as close as siblings, and shared resources, and more time to play balderdash together.

No comments: